Monday, July 7, 2008

ERP rates to increase today.

Once again, the ERP rates went up today.
The rise was sharp this time... $1 instead of the usual 50¢...
5 new gantries were introduced at the same time..
The timing for all gantries into town were extended till 8pm...

ok.. I only rem the first 2 points... n didn't rem the last point..
And so when i came out of the office at 715pm.. it felt weird..
Y is there a traffic jam at this hour..?
As I waited at the traffic light junction, i look ahead... n wondered...
"Alamak, how come the ERP light is still on!? n got new design somemore..."

The manual GPS in my brain did an auto-route and realised the place that i am going to (bugis) is beyond a gantry.
Immediately did an illegal u-turn (muwahaha.. another gd thing abt riding a bike)... rode around Arab street and ended in the carpark just before the Bugis gantry.
I stopped there and realised there is a sudden change with all the human behaviour around me.
Everybody was waiting in the carpark (just like me).
All roads before the gantry was jam pack. (normally this isn't the case when i am going home)
Roads beyond the gantry was like.... 'empty'.
I wondered at this point.. Is there a need to control the amount of traffic going into town from 7PM onwards? Base on experience, the traffic that's in town at 7PM will not be so heavy until it will cause a traffic jam.

Was bored and decided to take some pics...

Look at the number of vehicles turning in order to siam the ERP.
Only the bus is moving straight.


Looks nice right the new gantry, especially at night.
ERP Version 2: It even has the pricing on top of the clock. (the colorful portion that's not clear)
If I didn't rem wrongly, at 730pm - 750pm:
Motorcycle $1
Cars/Taxi $2
Bus/Lorry $3

Tmr, I'm starting work at 9am.
With the 2 ERP gantries along the way, most likely I will leave my house at 845am instead. Most likely will reach office around 915am - 930am.
Cost of ERP: $0.00

If I were to reach my office at 9am, I will have to fork out $1.25 - $2 for ERP.

How to avoid ERP gantries?
This website has a feature to help you to avoid or plan a route to avoid ERP gantries.
Users can click on a gantry for a pop-up speech bubble displaying its operating hours and charges. Using Google Maps technology, there will also be a tool that allows drivers to plot the route to their destinations.

No comments: